Thoughts on Edudemic's Top 35 Web 2.0 Tools:
After looking at a variety of Web 2.0 tools, I found that I really enjoyed a website called Bitstrips. Bitstrips is an online tool in which students can create their own comics. Students are able to choose their own characters, and alter their characters in a wide variety of ways, while also choosing the background images for their comics. For example, I have found that many teachers use Bitstrips as a way for students to summarize a book, reenact a scene from history, create a tutorial about behavior management, or demonstrate a specific scientific procedure. The results of this tool are astounding. Many teachers have claimed that using these comics has helped students to become more engaged with class because their school work is now enjoyable. Students are able to express their ideas about a particular topic in a way that they otherwise would not be able to when using traditional teaching methods. Based on the research I have found pertaining to this Web 2.0 tool, it appears that this can be made applicable for all content areas.
In addition to Bitstrips, I also found a website called Scratch. Scratch is an online tool in which students have the opportunity to create their own games, their own stories, and their own instruments. For example, I found that teachers use Scratch as a way for students to create songs about mathematical topics such as shapes or pi, create simulations of ocean habitats, and create alternate endings to stories they have read in class. Many teachers have expressed their appreciation for Scratch due to its limitless, creative options for students. Similar to other Web 2.0 tools, Scratch offers students the opportunity to connect to the content taught in the classroom by creating games, videos, and tutorials that speak to the knowledge students have about any particular topic. When implemented appropriately, both Bitstrips and Scratch can be tools that allow students to become more engaged in their learning.
Websites for further information:
http://www.bitstripsforschools.com
http://teachersconnect2learning.wikispaces.com/Bitstrips
http://scratch.mit.edu
http://www.educationworld.com/a_tech/scratch-programming-classroom-activity-ideas.shtml
https://21centuryedtech.wikispaces.com/Scratch
Hi Chelsie, both of the web 2.0 websites sound like great ways to engage students in their own learning process. I experienced, as a student, creating cartoons as an assignment for my psychology class this past year. For the project we had to create five cartoon strips that outlined five different topics or ideas presented in class. I enjoyed the project and it definitely made me think about some of the content in a new way. The only thing that was frustrating for me, from the student stand point, was that it took a while to get used to the comic making site and took a lot longer to make the comics then I thought it would. What are someways that you think the process could be made less time consuming, if any? Great Links!
ReplyDeleteHey Chelsie! These sound like really amazing tools that can easily be integrated into the classroom! I have never heard of these tools before or seen them used in the classroom. I really like that these tools provide students with other methods of showing their understanding that varies from traditional methods. A question I have about both of these tools is are they easy to use or would you also have to spend time teaching students how to use the tools? I have found that sometimes there are tools that sound amazing, but are actually very difficult and not student friendly so it requires an additional lesson on how to use the tool. Thanks for adding the links!
ReplyDeleteChelsie,
ReplyDeleteYou did a great job highlighting some of the other Web 2.0 Tools that are not commonly discussed in classes like this or even within Professional Learning Networks (PLNs). I really enjoyed reading through your examples and thinking of the various ways that those Web 2.0 Tools could be used in my student teaching classroom this fall. I think the Bitstrips is a really great tool that more teachers should be utilizing. Could you imagine our students even writing their own stories and bringing it to life with a comic strip? I think that would be amazing. Thanks for sharing this with all of us. Great work!
Chels! First of all, love your blog's background. You inspired me to update mine! Also, I, too, took a liking to a web 2.0 tool similar to Bitstrips (the tool I explored in depth was called "ToonDooSpaces"). I agree that it can be applied to a wide variety of content areas and it is so incredibly engaging for both students and teachers. The other web 2.0 tool you shared, Scratch, seems like another fun and engaging tool to use in the classroom. I really like how both of these tools allow students to share their knowledge in creative and relevant ways, which probably boosts their motivation to complete the task to the best of their abilities, as well. I think using these tools in our future classrooms would prove to be incredibly useful and exciting for both students and teachers. Thanks for sharing your input on these good ideas!
ReplyDeleteChelsie!
ReplyDeleteGreat tools! I completely agree that tools like Bitstrips and Scratch are great resources to help engage and get students motivated to learn! I used similar Web 2.0 tools for my Blog...we are thinking alike! That Scratch website sounds really interesting and I like the different options that children get to choose to explain their thinking.