Tuesday, July 1, 2014

As a pre-service teacher in the 21st century, it is important that I learn meaningful ways to integrate technology into my future classroom.  Technology, in my eyes, can be described as an electronic device or tool that can be both helpful and detrimental to learning.  Devices such as tablets, smart boards, and computers are everyday examples of technology devices that are integrated into the classroom. 
Based on my practicum experiences, I have been exposed to teachers implementing technology in positive and negative ways.  For example, teachers use the smart board and document camera as a way to present valuable information to students in a meaningful and visual manner.  This is a way for teachers to enhance students understanding of class assignments.  On the other-hand, I have found that many teachers use technology, specifically computers, as a tool for positive reinforcement.  For example, if a student completes her/his work, and s/he has nothing else to work on, the teacher will grant the student “computer free time.” Instead, I believe students should be encouraged to partake in activities like reading, coloring, and writing; anything that allows the students to create something that they view as valuable. 

Although technology’s presence in the classroom is growing, I see myself using “traditional techniques” within my future classroom. I have a hard time seeing how I can apply technology into the classroom and make it applicable for the students.  Additionally, I believe that students can gain a much more rich experience through interactions and connections that cannot be provided through technology.  Students, like little scientists, need the opportunity to explore, create, move, collaborate, discuss, and wonder.  However, I find it difficult to see how technology can be used as a tool to accomplish such things.  I want my students’ work to be purposeful and I want to find ways in which technology can be used as a tool to achieve this.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Chelsie! I really enjoyed how honest you were in your post and I agree that with technology we may be losing the interactive community for students to learn and collaborate together face to face. I also agree with you that I too have often seen technology being used as a reward where students play games that usually have little to no educational impact. I have do believe that technology can be a useful tool when implemented appropriately. Sometimes, if students need to extra opportunity to grapple with a concept or idea, an interactive game or an informational video on the class blog can provide students with that time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Chels! I agree that learning about technology and its purpose is super important because it's what our future students will be using and, as educators, we can utilize their interest in technology to facilitate their learning and provide more meaningful lessons. I also completely agree with you that some traditional teaching techniques are better left unchanged and that's why I think that technology should only be used as a tool if it can be truly justified, for each activity, as being a helpful and facilitating tool that allows for a more meaningful education, as opposed to just an "easy way out". I want to keep many traditional teaching techniques in my classroom too, but I'm open to integrating technology when it makes sense. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chelsie! I really liked how you described your practicum experiences regarding technology use in the classroom – both positive and negative. I totally agree with your point about how students can gain more rich experiences through interactions and connections that cannot be made through technology! Do you think there is a positive way to integrate “traditional techniques” as well as implementing technology in your classroom?

    ReplyDelete